The Ealing Symphony Orchestra is an independent orchestra based in West London. Established nearly a century ago, the orchestra has come to be seen as a leading voluntary orchestra on the London music scene. We have been under the baton of John Gibbons since 1994, and through this association promote British music by performing the less well known works of British composers.
Most of our concerts are in in West London, with a number of overseas tours, concerts further afield and Festivals under our belt, including:
- Ealing Music and Film Festival (multiple years);
- Malcolm Arnold Festival in Northampton (multiple years);
- Cesis Arts Festival, Latvia, in 2011 and 2014;
- Wormser Kantorei collaboration in Worms, Germany, in 2013;
- Clifton International Festival of Music, Bristol, 2016;
- International Orchestra Festival in Lucca, Italy, in 2017; and
- Liberation Day celebrations in Zandvoort, The Netherlands, in 2018.
We are proud to support the Ealing Festival of Music, Dance and Speech by offering a performance with the orchestra to the overall winner of the Festival’s concerto classes.
Approximately 50 players are permanent members of the orchestra. Our membership is very diverse, with a wide variety of professions represented, from teachers to physicians to engineers.
The Ealing Symphony Orchestra is a registered Charity, No. 287974.
The Orchestra is managed by a Committee, elected from its members and Friends.
Chair: Jo Boswell
Secretary and Data Controller: Richard Partridge
Treasurer: David Smith
To find out more about the Committee, contact Richard at or by phone or post as below.
Our Constitution can be found on the Members’ page and we will post an updated version here when it has been reviewed.
Ealing Symphony Orchestra abides by the General Data Protection Regulation (2018) and the Data Protection Act. We collect a certain amount of data from:
- our members, in order to run the orchestra;
- our Friends, in order to run the Friends programme;
- our audience, in order to administer ticket sales (if you buy online or have a season ticket);
- the website, we collect anonymised technical data in order to know how visitors use the site and how to improve it.
Our Data Protection and Retention Policy, which covers what data we collect, how long we hold it for, how and why we use it and how to get it amended or deleted, can be downloaded below.
The Charity Commission requires us to have in place certain written policies. To make them easier to read and understand we have compiled our shorter Policies into one document, which can be downloaded below. This Policy document contains our:
- Safeguarding Policy;
- Complaints Policy;
- Conflict of Interest Policy;
- Paying Staff Policy;
- Volunteer Management Policy;
- Risk Management Policy; and
- Investment Policy.
Ealing Symphony Orchestra Policies (reviewed: June 2018)
The ESO is affiliated to Ealing Arts and Leisure and to Making Music, the National Federation of Music Societies, which represents and supports amateur performing and promoting societies throughout the UK.
We are listed on Geoff Roussel’s excellent UK Amateur Orchestras site.
We manage our concert ticket sales through Golden Giving; you can visit our page there at any time to make a donation.
We are registered with Give as you Live; an online service that allows you to donate to charity as you shop, at no cost to you.
Publicity and website: Friends: Treasurer:
Phone: 020 8567 4075
Post: 68 Elers Road, London W13 9QD